Bad Public Relations
Sky Languages In-Company Homework
Public Relations Nightmare.
Have you seen the video of a man forced off a United Airlines flight because of overbooking? The incident was recorded by several passengers and the video has gone viral. Hundreds of thousands of negative messages about United have been sent on Twitter, Facebook and other social media around the world. So, as you can imagine, it has been a huge P.R. nightmare for the company and the value of the company has dropped because of this.
This week we are going to talk about P.R. (Public Relations) situations that can hurt a company’s image and what should be done.
We have two videos to watch. The first video gives some information about what happened in the case of United. The second video is a sample of some of the social media messages that were sent. As always, we have questions for debate after the videos. Enjoy!
This is the funny video:
- Do you think that United should be punished by consumers because of one incident?
- The CEO of United sent an email to all employees after this incident saying that the passenger was “disruptive” and that the actions of the employees and police were justified. Was this a good idea?
- How should a company react when something like this happens? Why?
- Has something like this happened at your company? If so what? Is it possible? Are you prepared?
- Can you think of any other companies that have suffered because of bad P.R.?
IDIOM: To have second thoughts (verb): to have doubts about an opinion or about something you have already decided
I bought tickets to Istanbul for vacation but after seeing the documentary about London I am now having second thoughts.
He always said that Tata is the best car brand but now is having second thoughts.
Sara is supposed to marry Bob tomorrow but is having second thoughts.
Please send us any comments about these homework videos or your classes!