Do something “Like a girl”?
Sky Languages In-Company Homework
To do something “like a girl”.
Can language have an effect on people’s confidence? Do we use expressions everyday that should probably be changed? We thought that this video from the Wall Street Journal was interesting. Let’s watch the video and see what you think! As always, we have questions for debate after the video. Enjoy!
- Before you had seen the second part of the video, did you think the same as these people about running, throwing and fighting like a girl?
- In your language do similar expressions exist (doing something like a girl is negative)? Why?
- Do you think that these expressions really have an effect on girls’ confidence? Why or why not?
- Should we stop saying these things? If so, how?
- Can you think of any other expressions that should be changed or stopped about other groups of people?
IDIOM to get the ball rolling (verb): to start a process
We have already wasted a lot of time chatting; let’s get the ball rolling.
After the proposal 2 years ago, they have finally got the ball rolling on the road construction.
He hoped that the project manager would use her authority to get the ball rolling.
Please send us any comments about these homework videos or your classes!